How to apply

Admission requirements - How to apply

Admission requirements

First year: If you have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Science or are enrolled in the final semester of a Bachelor’s program in Science, you are eligible to apply for the Master’s program N2. Your initial background should be in one or more of the following fields: physics, chemistry, biology, nanosciences and nanotechnologies, engineering, mathematics. 

Second year: to be eligible you should have completed, or be enrolled in, a first year of a Master program in Science, and totalize 60 ETCS. 
You must choose one of the three tracks: nanophysics, nanochemistry or nanobiosciences.

If you have followed or are following a Bachelor program in Science of at least four years, there are two possibilities. If your background covers all the the prerequisites of the M2 tracks, you can be admitted directly to  the 2nd year courses of the master N2. You can also choose to follow the M1 Research Intensive Track (RIT) where more time is devoted to labwork. This second option facilitate the integration in the French academic system. Moreover, if the persons in charge of the M2 track you are interested in estimate that you do not meet all the requirements of their track, they might advice you to follow the M1 RIT to acquire the missing competences. Accordingly, it is recommended that you apply to both the M2 track and the M1 RIT program from the beginning. 

Language requirement:
To gain admission to an MSc in the English language at Université Grenoble Alpes, non-French applicants must document qualifications in the English language equivalent to the European standard ‘English level B2'.
If you are not French you have different ways to document this:

  • if you have performed your prior higher education program in a European university and have obtained a certificate of English level B2, you must provide an attestation of your previous university for this certificate.
  • if you have performed your previous higher education studies in the English language, we ask you to provide a signed statement from your University or Education Institution (with the institution's stamp on it) stating that English is the main language of instruction.
  • in other cases you must pass an IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge Advanced English or Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) test before being admitted. Applications will be processed when the UGA has received your test results.

Tuition fee: UGA has decided to help the applicants tackling the raise of the tuition fee decided at the national level.

How to apply

The administrative procedure for applying to the master N2depends on your situation:

1) You are now following higher education studies in France. The online application procedure (e-candidat) at Université Grenoble Alpes opens by Mid-February and closes by the end of May.

2) Your present higher education institution is not France, and YOU ARE NOT a citizen of one of these countries:
Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, South Korea, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, United State of America, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Koweit, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Peru, RDC, Russia, Senegal, Singapor, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam.

Create your application file online at the Université Grenoble Alpes. The online application procedure (e-candidat) at Université Grenoble Alpes opens by Mid-February and closes by the end of May.

You will have to provide the following items:

  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Covering letter specifying your intended career path
  • Copy of identity card or birth certificate for foreigners
  • Copy of all acquired qualifications and degrees, including High School Diploma, certified as being equivalent in the case of qualifications obtained outside of France; Official translations of these documents must be provided in French or, at least, in English.
  • Detailed list of courses specifying the marks obtained during the 4 years of higher education (Bachelor and eventually Master)
  • A certificate of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS or equivalent)
  • Recommendation letters, provided by a professor with responsibilities for your current year of study.

3) Your present higher education institution is not France, and you ARE a citizen of one of the countries listed above. You have to go on the site Etudes en France, create an account, and then create your application file by choosing "Applicant". After filling your personal information, you will be asked to choose a program. Our master program is now open on Etudes en France . You can apply till the mid-March

Be careful not only to apply but to validate your application as soon as possible so that your application can be evaluated. 

Be careful, the deadline can be slightly different for your own country.

Be careful, once you have receive the answers, you must make select your program out of your applications in order to receive the official admission letter that will allow you to launch the administrative procedures. 

Once validated, you will have to deposit a paper version of your file. Some Campus France require an appointment to deposit your file. Be careful to the schedule of your specific Campus France. Finally you will have an interview with Campus France.